Anderson & Boback Logo

What if I don’t want to comply with a Court Order?

Categorized as Divorce Litigation

This is an issue which arises in many cases. From doing exchanges of financial disclosures, to doing driving for parenting time, there are many issues which Judges decide and put into court orders that the parties are not happy about. However, court orders MUST be followed. So, if something is in a court order, it needs to be done, otherwise a non-compliant person could be subject to contempt proceedings, sanctions, attorney’s fees and even jail to coerce their compliance with the court order.

If there is an unfavorable order entered by a Judge which was not an agreement between two parties, within the requisite statutory time constraints, one can file a Motion to Reconsider and/or a Notice of Appeal. The motion to reconsider must point out an error in application of law, newly discovered evidence or another reason for a Judge to “change their mind”. And, it must be filed timely. It should not be filed simply when someone doesn’t like the Judge’s decision. An appeal, again, will be subject to a standard of review by the reviewing court and cannot be filed just because someone doesn’t like a decision.

If the time has passed in which an Appeal or a Motion to Consider can be filed, one can also consider filing a Motion to Modify. The reasons a court can modify a court order completely depend on what sort of order it is. Some orders are not modifiable until there is a substantial change in circumstances, or until a certain period of time has elapsed.

A court order should never go unfollowed. One should always petition to modify, vacate, reconsider or otherwise dispose of the order in lieu of disregarding it, to avoid very severe penalities.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870