Anderson & Boback Logo

What is a contribution hearing?

Categorized as Divorce Litigation, Property Division

Typically, unless a divorce is agreed to, both parties are going to incur attorney’s fees and court costs throughout the dissolution proceedings. Section 503 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (750 ILCS 5/503) provides that a party may generally file a Petition for Contribution said fees and costs against the other party either before the final hearing or within fourteen (14) days of the closing of proofs in the final hearing. A final hearing is one that resolves all outstanding issues between the parties, besides contribution, unless the parties have agreed to decide the issue of contribution in conjunction with the final hearing. If the parties do not agree to decide the issues of contribution during the final hearing on all other issues, then the issue will be decided before a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage is entered.

However, many parties agree to waive their right to a contribution hearing altogether. This often happens when the parties enter into a Marital Settlement Agreement (MSA). Many MSAs address attorney’s fees and costs by one of the following ways: (1) the parties agree to pay their own attorney’s fees and costs, (2) a party agrees to contribute a certain dollar amount or percentage towards the other party’s attorney’s fees and costs, or (3) the parties agree to pay all of their attorney’s fees and costs from their marital assets. Maybe they have property they have agreed to sell or maybe they have a financial account they have agreed to divide. When a judge is deciding the issue of contribution they will look at several factors to determine if a party should contribute to the other party’s attorney’s fees and costs and if so, how much should they contribute? It is highly recommended that you speak with an experienced attorney if you are involved in dissolution proceedings and especially prior to signing any sort of settlement.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870