Anderson & Boback Logo

What is a Deposition and How Do I Prepare?

Categorized as Illinois Divorce, Illinois Family Law

Often in divorce or custody cases the parties will have to sit for a deposition.  A deposition is usually conducted outside of the courtroom, generally at one of the attorney’s offices.  The party that is being deposed is present, along with their attorney, if they have one.  The opposing party may be present to listen to the deposition, but this is not mandatory.  The opposing party’s attorney will be present as well.  A court reporter is also hired for the deposition to take down the testimony and put it into a transcript.  Judges are not present for depositions and oftentimes won’t even review the deposition transcript unless they are asked to by an attorney or it is presented at a trial.

A deposition is used by the opposing attorney to gather information from the witness.  The attorney is looking to find out what the witness knows and what they will testify to at a trial.  Depositions are informal, but this can be deceiving.  Depositions are vitally important and despite the fact that they are informal, anything you say can be used against you at a later date.  Additionally, attorneys will take depositions to secure testimony from a witness.  If the party being deposed answers a question one way at a deposition and later changes their answer at a hearing or a trial, the attorney can use this to discredit the witnesses’ testimony altogether.

If you are being deposed and you are represented by counsel, they will generally prepare you for your deposition in advance.  It is important that you have a conversation with your attorney about what to say and what not to say, and how to answer questions prior to the deposition being taken.  If you are unrepresented and are called upon to sit for a deposition, it is beneficial to speak to an attorney and hire one to go with you to preserve your rights.  Our attorneys are experienced in conducting depositions, feel free to call us to set up a consultation if you find yourself in this situation.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870