Anderson & Boback Logo

What is a Post-Nuptial Agreement and Should I Get One?

Categorized as Post-Nuptial Agreement

Most people have heard of pre-nuptial agreements. What is not often discussed is a post-nuptial agreement. A post-nuptial agreement is an agreement that is made after a parties’ marriage. Pre-nuptial agreements are entered prior to the date of marriage in exchange for the marriage. For post-nuptial agreements, the exchange is the continuation of the marriage. In other words, without a post-nuptial agreement, the parties would otherwise divorce.

Many attorneys usually frown upon post-nuptial agreements for many reasons. For one, if the post-nuptial agreement is a worse deal than the actual divorce, an attorney would not recommend it. Furthermore, for many people, the continuation of the divorce is not a good enough exchange for the bargaining away of their rights. Nevertheless, for some people, a post-nuptial agreement is a good decision. For example, if both parties are elderly and do not plan on re-marrying, it is probably a better deal for them financially to stay married and take advantage of their social security and pension rights than they would if they divorced. Divorces can also be very expensive and not worth fighting if a post-nuptial agreement at that age will do the trick.

For those who are newly married and the possibility of a divorce arises in the early states of their marriage, a post-nuptial agreement makes sense. A divorce of less than 5 years may not entitle either party to substantial assets or maintenance, and the parties wish to continue with their marriage and not have to worry about the possibility of being liable for paying the other maintenance or having to divide their assets or non-marital assets. A post-nuptial agreement would ensure that any commingling or contribution that may have already happened would be waived or settled and that from now on it would be considered that party’s non-marital property.

If you feel that a post-nuptial agreement may be right for you, contact an attorney to discuss the pros and cons of taking this route in lieu of a divorce.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870