Anderson & Boback Logo

What You Need to Know Before You Remove Your Child from Illinois

Categorized as Child Relocation

When a parent seeks “Removal,” they are seeking to take the minor child from the State of Illinois on a permanent basis. This does not include time for temporary visits out of the state, such as vacations.

A parent must first ask the court’s permission, before removing the child from Illinois. The court will allow removal if the court finds that the move is in the best interest of the child.

We are commonly asked if the other parent needs to be notified about the move, and when should they be notified. The answer is of course you must tell the other parent, and the sooner the better. The court does not like to decide this issue quickly, and the process can often take many months, so the sooner you notify the other parent, the better off you will be. If there is no agreement to move out of state, then you have to go to court and ask the court’s permission. Taking the child out of state without permission can lead to a change of custody, so make sure that you consult with us before you move. When you start thinking about a permanent removal, you will want to gather information about the child’s school, where you will live, and why you are moving. Moving to keep the other parent from visiting is met with resistance by the court. You have to be able to demonstrate that this move is not designed to keep the other parent from the child, but that you are moving to enhance the child’s life in some way. You will need to think about expanding the non-custodial parent’s parenting time as well. It is not uncommon for the court to allow the other parent a large part of the child’s breaks from school, as well as require you to pay for the child’s transportation costs back to Illinois.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870