Anderson & Boback Logo
parents separating dad leaving child with mom

Separating Without Your Children in a Chicago Divorce

Categorized as Child Custody & Visitation, Family Law, Illinois Family Law

It can be tough to stay in a residence with a significant other when the relationship is “over”.  However, when minor children are involved, there are many things to consider.  There is much planning which has to happen before one party should separate from the joint residence and relocate elsewhere especially when that means separating without your children.

Parenting Time Can be a Challenge

First, if there is no case pending and/or no temporary parenting time schedule, moving out of the home without your children may mean that there is no “regular” time frame in which you will see your child/children for the near future.  You will be subject to the mercy of coming to an agreement with your ex regarding when you can exercise parenting time until there is a court order in place governing the schedule.  This can make it very difficult since many people who separate do so because they do not get along and cannot agree.  Moving out of a home without a parenting time schedule may mean that there will be a period of time where little, infrequent, or no parenting time will take place at all.  This is something to seriously consider prior to moving out of a joint residence.

Worry About the “Status Quo” 

One factor that the Court considers when allocating parenting time and parental responsibilities (decision making, formerly known as custody, for extra-curricular activities, medical/health care, education, and religious decision for the minor children) is what the status quo has been for the prior twenty-four (24) months.  The Court wants to know who has been the primary caretaker, who has made the decisions, who does the day-to-day tasks of feeding, bathing, school work, etc.  If a party chooses to separate and move out of a joint residence without their child(ren) and that party had previously functioned as a primary caretaker, that is about to change.  The other parent will now be in the role of primary caretaker, presumably.  If this goes on for quite some time, perhaps a year, the prior twenty-four (24) months before the case was filed now has a much different status quo. Courts tend to like the status quo, so altering it severely could damage a position where one party was previously the primary caretaker of the children, but not any longer.

You May Have to Pay Child Support or Other Bills, Even If  You Move Without Your Children.

Child support is typically paid by the person who has less parenting time, dependent of course on the parties’ respective incomes and the parenting time schedule.  So, if one party chooses to move out of a joint residence without the minor children, there is now potentially an argument that said person would have to pay child support, whereas had they stayed with the children they may not have had to. 

Another surprising fact to parties who separate in a marriage or divorce situation specifically is that they may still have to contribute to marital expenses and the maintenance of marital assets, even if they are no longer living in the marital home.  For example, if one party decides to move out of a marital residence and the house is marital and has a mortgage, the person moving out may still have to contribute to the mortgage and/or property taxes for said home, even if they are not living there.  This is situation-dependent, but the thought is that generally a court will uphold marital assets and try to preserve the marital estate.  They generally won’t let a marital home mortgage go into default so that one party can move out and pay rent somewhere else.  So, just because someone moves out of a jointly held marital home for separation purposes, does not mean they no longer have to pay the bills for said home.

There are many considerations when deciding to separate out of a joint residence and these are just some of the complex issues one must consider. When children are involved separating becomes even more complicated.  Feel free to reach out to our experienced family law attorneys if you are thinking about separating without your children to ensure that you are making the best decision for you and your family.


Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The attitudes of Illinois family law judges about how children should be raised, and their time divided between parents, have changed significantly over the last fifty years or so. Judges used to believe, and rule--almost universally--that children needed to spend…

Recently, the Illinois Appellate court addressed the issue of the date used in determining dissipation as raised by the divorce case In Re Marriage of Sinha. (In re MARRIAGE OF JYOTI SINHA and MUKESHA K. SINHA, 2021 IL App (2d)…

Oftentimes while a family law case is pending, parents will need or want to move with their minor children. The child relocation law in Illinois as of 2021 indicated that you need to seek approval for relocation from the Court…

In Illinois, we have abolished using the term “custody” and now refer to parenting time as the schedule which dictates where the child resides, and when.  Clients often ask whether or not it matters if the child has an opinion…

If you and your spouse are able to reach an agreement on all of the issues of divorce, that is a great start to the process. In an uncontested divorce, once that agreement has been reached, or even before, the…

When parents end their relationship, it's rarely easy especially if there are disagreements over custody. As Chicago child custody attorneys, we're often asked for guidance on what you should bring up in a child custody case to show you are…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870